Why Cities Should Back Off of Setbacks
Insightful excerpt from an article from 2017.
Please visit the City of Rancho Cordova’s Cordova Creek Feasibility Study page to learn more about the proposed conversion of a stormwater runoff canal to a Class 1 Bike Path.
Off-street parking and driveways for detached dwellings, manufactured homes, single-family attached dwellings, and two-unit attached dwellings shall meet the following requirements:
A. Any vehicle, trailer, or vessel which is inoperable or vehicles that are Certified as Non-Operation or Planned Non-Operation Certified with the Department of Motor Vehicles shall be stored entirely within an enclosed structure, where it is not visible from the street or other public or private property and shall not be parked or stored in any yard within a residential zoning district or neighborhood.
B. Unless specifically permitted by this code, required off-street parking spaces shall not be located within any required front yard or required street side yard setback of any parcel. Required parking must be provided within a fully enclosed garage or carport (see RCMC 23.734.040, Development standards).
C. Parking in excess of the required parking (e.g., driveways) may be provided within the front and street side yard setback, as follows:
1. Vehicle parking (including driveways) within the front yard area or as seen by the public street in residential areas shall be provided on a lasting, durable surface (e.g., concrete, asphalt, or similar material). Permeable paving materials, such as paver stones, pervious concrete, or interlocking grids with gravel, are permitted as an alternative to a standard asphalt or concrete surface. Use of grasscrete, ribbon drive (Hollywood strips) or other acceptable alternatives as determined by the director may be allowed for purposes of a driving surface that leads to a legal parking area outside of the front yard area or as seen by the public street. No parking is allowed on these features within the front yard area or as seen by the public street.
2. Parking areas shall not exceed the maximum impervious surface allowed on a parcel (e.g., impervious surface in front yards is limited to 40 percent coverage).
3. Parking may not occur within any required clear vision triangle area on a corner lot.
D. Each parking space shall be at least eight and one-half feet wide by 18 feet deep.
E. Tandem (end-to-end) parking is allowed to meet the minimum off-street parking requirements.
F. Required parking may be provided in the rear yard only when an alley is available for access.
G. The minimum driveway width is 10 feet. Driveway pavement shall be five feet from the side property line in order to provide an area of landscaping between adjacent lots. Deviations from these standards may be allowed through site plan and architecture review for small-lot single-family developments at the time of master home plan review where these standards cannot be attained due to design. Remaining unpaved portion shall be landscaped, irrigated, and maintained. See Figure 23.716-2 (Nonpervious Surface Limits in Single-Family and Two-Family Residential Zones).
H. The use of structures, temporary canopies, tarps, and other similar types of covering for vehicles is strictly prohibited within the front setback.
I. Commercial vehicles shall not be parked on residential property.
J. Parking of RVs, trailers, and vessels shall conform with the following additional regulations:
1. Parking on a lasting, durable surface (e.g., concrete, asphalt, grasscrete, or permeable paving material) is required.
2. Parking within the clear vision area is prohibited. [Ord. 15-2018 § 4 (Exh. A); Ord. 7-2018 § 3; Ord. 4-2018 § 3 (Exh. A); Ord. 4-2017 § 3 (Exh. B); Ord. 12-2011 § 3 (Exh. A); Ord. 27-2008 § 1 (Exh. A § 4.7.140)].
Spanos’ BDX Apartment project in Rancho Cordova sold for $57.5 million
01/03/2018 – Sac Business Journal
Its critical that any promises made by the previous owner be honored by the new owner in regards to commitments made to Captial Village residents and the City of Rancho Cordova.
I hope the city council address this new development and reassures nearby Capital Village residents.
Received this in the January Fresh Events newsletter from City of Rancho Cordova.
UPDATE 1: START TIME 4PM – City Manager Cyrus Abhar has said via email that the start time of this meeting is 4pm. He said he will look into the confusion on the incorrect posting of the start time.
City Manager Cyrus Abhar referenced it during the November 19th and November 5th City Council meeting Public Comment periods after Sharon Judy, Angel Ball and Walt Myers addressed the City Council about the follow up on RV Parking and Access.
Tuesday, January 8, 5:30 PM: City Council Special Meeting/Work Session
Rancho Cordova City Hall, 2729 Prospect Park Drive
The next City Council Special Meeting/Work Session will occur on January 8.
The topic is Code Enforcement Priorities.
Meeting calendar page (No Agenda yet)
I apologize for the late update. December has been a very busy month so far.
We solidly won one precinct, the “Finger”.
Again, Thank You all so much for your support, and thank you to all who voted for city council candidates. Your votes really matter.
Stacy Leitner emailed candidates on 12/03, announcing the certification and the scheduling of the official announcement of the election results during the Monday, December 17th City Council Meeting (Link to Agenda).
During this meeting, Linda Budge and Garret Gatewood will be sworn in, and a new Mayor and Vice Mayor will be chosen.
- Selection of 2019 Mayor and Vice Mayor. – 1 – Staff Report
- Selection of 2019 Mayor and Vice Mayor. – 2 – Resolution 5-2004
- Selection of 2019 Mayor and Vice Mayor. – 3 – Resolution 185-2004
Council will also approve Council Member Appointments to Regional Boards, Commissions, and Committees.
- Approval of Council Member Appointments to Regional Boards, Commissions, and Committees- 1 – Staff Report
- Approval of Council Member Appointments to Regional Boards, Commissions, and Committees – 2019 Proposed City of Rancho Cordova Council Member Appointments